Chronicles of Judy

My journey of discovery and transformation in Africa

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Walking and home security SA style

I like to walk. There are four good reasons why I like to walk. One is that it reduces stress. Secondly, it is good exercise. Lastly, it is springtime here and the neighborhoods are lined with old shade trees and flowers in full bloom which are beautiful to see and sense and, lastly, it is a good way to meet the locals. So, why am I the only one walking here? I am told daily by shopkeepers, neighbors, my roommate and the Peace Corps that my town is perfectly safe to walk in during the day. There is no crime in my neighborhood. There is a reservoir within walking distance with weeping willow trees, groomed lawns and a great children’s playground. I walked to it recently on a late Friday afternoon and found no one there, no children playing after school and nobody strolling about. So then why aren’t the locals enjoying this wonderful time of year? Could it be the coiled barbed wire that sat on top of the 10 foot fence circling the property?
Walking is just not done here. Unless it is to pop into a shop for supplies or unless you are too poor to get a lift, everyone uses some kind of transport. A car culture there is here but not for the same reasons as in southern California because the town is so small, you can walk through the main street in 10 minutes.
I walk back and forth everyday to work. This causes my roommate, co-workers and residents to become perplexed. I am looked at like I have two heads. Why are you walking they say? Don’t you want a lift? When I ask them why I shouldn’t walk, they can’t give me an answer.
There are no sidewalks in my town other than in the commercial areas. Beautiful estate properties on quarter acre plots line the neighborhood where I walk to work. There is 15-20 feet of groomed lawn from the security fences of the estates to the curb of the street. The streets are wide with huge shade trees on both sides. Yet, there is no sidewalk on either side of the street.
I’m guessing that recent South African history has a lot to do with the answers to my questions.


Home security, South African style, is something that I have not seen anywhere in the world. I must paint a picture for you to really understand. First, pretend you are a burglar attempting to invade a residence here. What you first encounter is a brick, cement or wire fence about 5 feet tall surrounding the property. On top of the fence may be coiled barbed wire if you’re of modest means, but most often the entire surface of the fence is covered with is a row of three prong metal spikes that will impale you should you leap from a helicopter to do evil deeds. I have seen electrified wires on top of the spikes but not yet in my town. There is usually a sign by the gate to the property with the picture of a snarling dog, mouth wide open with teeth baring and saliva dripping just in case you didn’t see and hear the snarling dogs just inside the fence staring at you, snarling and barking. Most everyone has guard dogs, including me. To be fair, they are not all German Sheppard’s, but dachshunds can have a pretty intimidating bark The wealthy have automatic gate openers but many like me have gate locks that must unlocked and locked every time you enter and leave the property. Once you’ve managed to get inside the property, your work has just begun. There may be another security fence to trespass before getting to the house but more than likely there will be a metal security fence and gate enclosing a small patio area in front of the front door. If not, there will be a metal security door you must unlock with a skeleton key before you can unlock the deadbolt lock of the front door. Don’t forget about the sensor lights illuminating everything you do. Now if you have become discouraged by now and think you’ll try entering the house through a window, forget it. Everyone window I’ve seen in South Africa except in poor areas has metal bars on it. Plus, it is inappropriate to have windows without curtains. At all times, day and night, curtains are drawn so I can never see outside nor can you see in. Lastly, the well-to-do have home security systems for the interior of the house with rapid response patrol cars hanging out.
Basically,, if there is a fire inside a home in South Africa, the inhabitants will become toast, literally, because trying to get out of your fortress and property takes a half an hour.
Don’t worry about my safety. My key ring has 6 keys on it and not one is for a car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home